GW MLB West Power Ratings (Week 16):
1. Rangers (1): When Nolan Ryan says Josh Hamilton is giving away too many at-bats, you have to believe him. Nolan knows more about hitting than most hitters.
2. Angels (3): The acquisition of RH Zack Greinke sent shock waves deep into the heart of Texas. The AL West rivals play six times in September and that should be fun to watch.
3. Giants (2): The loss of infielder Pablo Sandoval could leave the team hamstrung for a couple of weeks, the last thing they need with the Dodgers breathing down their necks.
4. Athletics (5): Winning the AL West is out of the question, but don’t count the A’s out as one of the two wild card teams. Wouldn’t that be something, considering that the team was expected to battle the Mariners for last place.
5. Dodgers (4): Whether he plays third base or shortstop, Hanley Ramirez could be the lift LA needs to overcome the Giants in the NL West.
6. Diamondbacks (6): Franchise record for back-to-back division titles — one (2001-02) apparently won’t be matched by a ’12 club that has not come close to matching the ’11 magic.
7. Padres (7): The last inning of Padres games going forward are in the capable hands of Huston Street (no relation) for at least the next two seasons.
8. Mariners (9): Did anyone besides me wonder why Ichiro did not utter one word of English during the press conference following his trade to the Yankees? A simple “Thank you” to the fans would have shown a touch of class. But that’s not part of his persona.
9. Rockies (8): Now that NLF camps have opened, all eyes in the Mile High region are on Peyton Manning and the Broncos.
(Last Week’s rating in parenthesis)