GW’s MLB Power Ratings (Week 5):
1. Rangers (1): If I was a free-agent-to-be starting pitcher, I would be pro-active and insist that my agent call the Rangers right now and have a little chit-chat with Nolan Ryan.
2. Dodgers (2): Wouldn’t it be something if there are Triple Crown winners in both the National (Matt Kemp) and American (Josh Hamilton) Leagues this season.
3. Giants (5): With Cain on the mound, the Giants finally were able to end their nine-game losing streak to the Diamondbacks.
4. Diamondbacks (3): SS Stephen Drew (broken ankle) has replaced baby steps on his comeback trail with confidence-building, real-life slides on the base paths.
5. Athletics (6): It’s only a matter of days before Manny can start being Manny again and the A’s start counting down the days that he takes center stage in their lineup.
6. Angels: (7): Albert Pujols is on pace to hit, oh, five or six home runs this season, which would calculate to a cool $4 million or so per circuit clout.
7. Rockies (4): Do you think age finally is catching up to veteran-plus Jamie Moyer? Five innings seems to be the max the 49-year-old can go these days.
8. Mariners (8): You can add Bryan LaHair to the long list of ex-Mariners excelling in new surroundings. How nice would it be for skipper Eric Wedge to write “Adam Jones” on his lineup card every day?
9. Padres (9): In the good news department, the Padres get to play their home games in the best overall weather in the Major Leagues. It’s never too hot, never too cold.
(Last Week’s rating in parenthesis)