GW MLB West Power Ratings (Week 19):
1. Rangers (1): Every MLB traveling secretary reminds players to pack their passports before any road trip that includes Canada. Guess Ryan Dempster didn’t get the news, or has never been outside the U.S.
2. Dodgers (4): Six ejections for skipper Don Mattingly so far this season. Hmmm, didn’t he used to be calm, cool and collected first baseman for the Yankees?
3. Athletics (3): Not sure how the real MVP voters see it, but in the eyes of this former MVP voter, Yoenis Cespedes is among the top five candidates for the AL award this season.
4. Giants (2): The cost of testosterone injection(s) could cost Melky Cabrera millions and millions of dollars. He even tried to hide the truth via a website, one that should have been called: www.melkythecheater.com.
5. Angels (5): Time is running out on the spend-at-will team from Anaheim to kick it in gear and claim a post-season berth as expected. And losing eight-run leads, like they did against Tampa, does not bode well.
6. Diamondbacks (6): Manager Kirk Gibson hit the nail on the head when he said it’s high time for his defending NL West champs to get hot and stay hot for the remainder of the season or else the Snakes will be supplanted.
7. Mariners (8): The season definitely had a Rays of sunshine for King Felix last Wednesday, warranting a profound tip of the cap from golferswest.com. Kudos for the perfecto!
8. Padres (7): Here’s a promotion idea for 2013: A hole-in-one night for all left-handed golfers in honor of minority owner Phil Mickelson.
9. Rockies (9): The final six weeks of the season will be longer than usual for a team that appears destined for a last-place finish in the NL West.
(Last Week’s rating in parenthesis)