With two weeks left in the regular season, nothing seems to be in the way to prevent Arizona from taking home its most coveted award this season – the golferswest.com Best of the West college basketball poll champion.
The Wildcats (27-2), who regained the No. 1 spot a week ago, retained it again this week. Barring an upset, the prestigious honor is poised to reside in Tucson this year.
Two Mountain West Conference teams, New Mexico (23-5) and San Diego State (25-3), are ready to assume the top spot should the Wildcats stumble. Only one of those, however, will be in position as New Mexico hosts SDSU Saturday.
Gonzaga (25-6) jumped over UCLA (21-7) into fourth place in the BOW poll. The Bruins dropped to fifth.
Overall, there are four Pac-12 teams in the top 10, four Mountain West teams and two from the Western Coast Conference.
Two teams entered the top 10 this week, UNLV (19-10) at No. 8 and Oregon (20-8) at No. 9. New Mexico State (22-9) and Stanford (18-9) slipped out of the top 10.
Here’s this week’s look:
No. Team / Notes
- Arizona (27-2)/Pac-12 title wrapped up; setting up for a post-season run
- New Mexico (23-5)/Won 11 of last 12; only loss was 71-70 to Boise Feb. 12
- San Diego State (25-3)/Closing regular season Saturday at rival New Mexico
- Gonzaga (25-6)/Oh hum, another WCC title but two losses in last four games
- UCLA (22-7)/Bad time to have two straight losses; beat OSU Sunday
- BYU (21-10)/Solid second-half push, winning eight of nine
- Arizona State (21-8)/20-win season and NCAA bid for an under-appreciated team seven
- UNLV (19-10)/Biggest game of the season Wednesday, hosting SDSU
- Oregon (20-8)/Late-season rush with five straight wins; finish at Arizona Saturday
- Boise State (19-10)/Have won four of five after three-game losing streak
CUSP: New Mexico State (22-9); Stanford (18-9); St. Mary’s (21-10); Colorado (20-9); California (18-11); UC-Santa Barbara (19-8); UC Irvine (20-10); Weber State (16-10); Utah Valley (18-10); San Francisco (20-10)